Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Healthy Apple Muffins

Have you ever had the experience of thinking that you have all of the ingredients for a recipe and then halfway through making it, you realize that you are out of one (or more!) ingredients?  Well, that happened to me today.  BUT, the results were so yummy that I had to share with you!

I've made these muffins a few times with yummy results, but halfway into mixing, I realized that I was a) out of oats AND eggs!  Oops.  Baking FAIL.  However, I happen to be lucky enough to be raised by a professional baker so I know a few tricks ;-)

I did have some health food store knock off Grape Nuts and some flax meal, so I went to work modifying the recipe and this is what I came up with:


 
Healthy Apple Muffins

Makes 16 muffins

1/4 cup Smart Balance or butter or coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 T flax meal + 3 T water
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or you can use 1/2 cup WW flour and 1/2 cup AP flour)
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t nutmeg
1/4 t ground cloves
1 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 cup Grape Nuts Cereal
1 apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
1/4 cup raisins (optional)

Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Line muffin tins with paper liners or spray generously with cooking spray.

Whisk the first four ingredients together in a large bowl.  Sift flour, spices, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into the bowl, stir until just combined.  Gently blend cereal, apples, and raisins into batter. 

Divide batter evenly between muffin cups.  Bake 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of one muffin comes out clean.
 



These muffins were delicious and devoured by my kids as soon as they came out of the oven!  I think they'd be great with some chopped pecans or walnuts in them as well, but since we are a nut-free house due to allergies, I used some hemp hearts instead.  They have a great nutty flavor and are super healthy.  Try them in anything baked or on salads - yum!  I get mine in Costco and the bag looks like this:

 

I hope you try these muffins and enjoy!
 
Linking up with these parties:


Lil\'Luna
 
A Bowl Full of Lemons

A Crafty Soiree
 
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. These muffins sound right up my little girl's alley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you make some! My girls gobbled them up so I hope these muffins work for you too. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for stopping by my blog! Your Georgia Vintage Dress is just lovely on your beautiful daughter. I love the way piping finishes a garment, too. I am amazed that you continued to bake without the eggs and the oatmeal! Great job!

    ReplyDelete