Friday, May 24, 2013

Tried and Tested: The Georgia Vintage Dress by The Cottage Mama

I'm sure you know The Cottage Mama - Lindsay has been blogging, sewing, and designing patterns for a few years and has been of one of my biggest inspirations!  Her patterns are full of adorable details and are super easy to follow.  So, when I was chosen to be part of the testing group for her new patterns, of course, I was beyond thrilled!

The Georgia Vintage Dress is modeled after a dress that Lindsay's mom wore as a little girl, and I just love the style.  I made View C, which was perfect for my 8 year old, who is just a little too big for the ruffled sleeves that are on the other versions. 


The bodice has a sweet Peter Pan collar and button detail, along with piping and a sash.  You could do ric-rac or lace instead of the piping - the possibilities are endless!


Here's a (iphone) shot of the bodice in progress to show the detail - I love piping!

 
 
And here's the whole bodice in progress.  The whole dress only took about 3 hours to cut and sew together, but it looks like it was much more complicated - one of the many reasons why I just love Lindsay's patterns!  Her attention to detail is impecable.
 

The skirt is double layered and sewn with French seams - my favorite for garments!  And I love that the bodice is fully lined as well.


Here's a view of the back - you can see the bow and button closure.  My daugher is quite slender, so I think I might make a bit of an alteration in the next Georgia dress I make her, but I think they fit is quite true to size for your average girl.


Of course, the skirt is just perfect for twirling :)




So sweet, right?  Lindsay just started offering the opportunity to sell garments made from her patters, so you can bet that I'll be putting these in the shop as soon as the pattern is officially released, and if you'd like to sew your own up, I'll let you know when the PDF pattern is released on my Facebook page.  Be sure to follow along on The Cottage Mama's Facebook page as well, to check out her other new patterns!

Here are some details and thoughts about this dress:
Pattern: Georgia Vintage Dress by The Cottage Mama
Fabric used: Notting Hill by Joel Dewberry, purchased through Fabric.com.  It was a breeze to work with and I love how the deisgn is modern yet it has a hint of vintage - perfect for this dress!  I found the buttons at Joann.
Thoughts:   The pattern and design of this dress are wonderful!  Lindsay created a group so that all of the pattern testers could communicate, get feedback, and have questions answered.  It's been a wonderful experience!

11 comments:

  1. Love your version of this dress - perfect for an older (!) girl and yet so pretty and girly (I love the piping accent).
    Can't wait to get this pattern for my girl :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - I was so excited to see that Lindsay's new patterns go up to size 10, and so was my 8 year old :) Thanks for visiting The Graceful Rose!

      Delete
  2. visiting from The Shabby Nest. This is amazing. What a great job you have done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! She has some amazing patterns and that fabric is just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Her patterns really are fabulous! Thank you for stopping by :)

      Delete
  4. Would love for you to share this at my link up where we pin all those who join to our party board http://myfashionforwardblog.com/all-things-pretty-11

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh by the way...I am having a giveaway for a gift certificate to my new Etsy shop...if you have time please come visit, would love to see you enter!
    Daisy~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your version of the vintage dress along with these lovely pictures. The information will surely help readers in picking stylish vintage dresses.

    ReplyDelete