Thursday, April 4, 2013

Tutorial Thursday: How to work with PDF patterns

Happy Thursday!

Today I'm going to show you how I work with PDF patterns - I'm sure that there are lots of methods, but this is the one I like best.

I mainly use PDF patterns - first, because there are so many great ones out there on Etsy and other sites, and second, because they are inexpensive and I can just print the pages that I need at home. 

First things first - print our your pattern and tape together following the pattern's instructions.  I may have a slight obsession with washi tape, and it's perfect for this because it's easily repositionable.


 
 
After I have the pages all taped together, I trace the size I want with Swedish Tracing Paper.  You can purchase some here.  I love this stuff - it's got the texture of interfacing and holds up really well.  I just lay it over my pattern and then trace, and cut.  Be sure to transfer any marks for buttons/notches!




 
 
 
Now you can lay the pattern pieces on your fabric and get cutting!  This is also a great way to use printed patterns that you want to make in different sizes - with two girls who like wearing the same thing, I do this a lot!  I hope you learned something new!  If you have a favorite PDF pattern maker, I hope you share in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment