Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Tried and Tested: The Cottage Mama's Party Dress

Are you ready for spring?  I know I am!  Here in Seattle, we've been getting our typical spring weather - blue skies WITH rain.  Yep, it's crazy.  Still, it means that the rain will lessen and the blue skies will stick around for a few more months.  Hurrah!  And of course, it can't be spring without sewing up some cute springtime dresses.


I love testing for Lindsay, aka The Cottage Mama.  She produces really well written patterns,  with classic designs and some really cute touches.  The construction is always great and I always get so many compliments on the end results. This dress is super fast to sew, and has some great classic details.


My favorite part of The Party Dress is that the sizing goes to a 10.  I chose to sew these up in sizes 6 and 9, and they fit my 6 and nearly 9 year olds perfectly.  The bodice is completely lined, and Lindsay offers two choices for the construction, which is great because you learn something new either way.


I love the wide sash and the dramatic bow in the back.  You can choose covered or regular buttons - I chose covered to match the sash and band. 


The girls of course love their dresses and are excited to twirl in them all spring! 

Be sure to head over to the Cottage Mama blog and sign up for the newsletter to recieve your own FREE copy of the Party Dress pattern!  I will be listing these dresses in the shop, and will be making custom versions as well.

Check out my other Cottage Mama pattern reviews here and here.

The Details:
Pattern: The Party Dress by the Cottage Mama
Sizes made: 6 and 9, no modifications
Fabric Used: Quilting Cotton Jill in Sky from Lucky Girl by Jennifer Paganelli and Kona Cotton in Navy, both purchased at Fabric Depot in Portland, OR.
Thoughts: this is a great pattern for an advanced beginner or intermediate sewist.  The fit is true to size.

Make It and Love It

1 comment:

  1. Love your version of the party dress. I didn't have enough fabric for the big sash on mine so made my own version but loved the pattern. Will definitely be making it again but perhaps in a more everyday fabric like yours. Mine looks very party like, (you can see it in my latest blog post).

    ReplyDelete