Monday, November 16, 2009

virtual cupcake, baby shower edition


These are some cupcakes I made for a baby shower/mama blessing. I made marshmallow fondant, which was super easy and also super easy to work with, along with vanilla cupcakes and vanilla buttercream frosting (requested by the mama). They turned out delicious, if I do say so myself. I'm really not a fan of regular old rolled fondant, but since I love marshmallows, I thought I'd give this a try and I'll definitely use it from now on for decorating. An added bonus is that the girls had a blast playing with it too!

To make the fondant, I poured a 15 ounce bag of mini marshmallows into a big glass bowl, added about 2 teaspoons of water, and microwaved them at 30 second intervals until everything was all melted. Then I sifted about 2 cups of powdered sugar and stirred that in. I waited a bit for the mixture to cool, then I poured it onto the counter (that I greased VERY heavily with shortening and extra powdered sugar). I kneaded everything until it was smooth, and then I separated it into thirds (one for the kids, one to stay white, one to dye pink - I used gel food coloring and it worked really well). Then I just rolled it out to about 1/8 of an inch and cut and decorated away. I'd say that one recipe of fondant will decorate about 24 cupcakes, depending on how you decorate them. For these, I spread a little buttercream on them, and then topped them with a round of fondant that I cut our with a cookie cutter. Then I made fondant bows, roses, and other shapes (and baby's initials).

For the buttercream, I used this recipe:

Vanilla Buttercream

2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar, sifted.
pinch of salt
2 t vanilla
2 T heavy cream

In a stand mixer, cream butter until light and fluffy using the whisk attachment. Add sugar and salt, cream for about 4 minutes or until very smooth. Add cream and vanilla, whip another 3 minutes. Use immediately, store extras in the refrigerator and bring to room temperature to use again. This is definitely the best tasting buttercream I have made in a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment