Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Homemade Hot Chocolate + Homemade Marshmallows = Bliss

Today Ava and I made some fresh marshmallows (which, BTW is not as impressive as it sounds...they are rediculously easy. I swear.). They are supposed to set up overnight, but by dinner they were firm enough for me to cut a few out. I made some yummy hot chocolate and put a few marshmallows in Ava's mug and we crossed one fun family activity off of our list.

Sipping on a mug of warm chocolate milk with melting pillows of marshmallow goodness floating in it is quite possibly the best way to end your day. Especially if your day was like mine and included a 3 year old doing her best to get under my skin and a 16 month old who seems to be starting on her terrible 2s a bit early. Ah well. At least I have a pan full of marshmallows and more Jacques Torres chocolate!

Hot Chocolate for 4:

2 cups milk (I used two percent)
2 cups cream or half and half (I used cream...what the hell, right?)
4 ounces of the best semi-sweet chocolate you can find (I was able to find Jacques Torres's at Whole Foods), finely chopped
1 teaspoon vanilla
Heat milk and cream in a saucepan until warm (do NOT boil...bleh!). Remove from heat, stir in chocolate and vanilla until smooth. Inhale.
Marshmallows:
Adapted from a Tyler Florence recipe I got out of a cookbook several years ago
3 packets unflavored gelatin
2 cups cold water
2 cups sugar
2 egg whites
2 cups confectioner's sugar
Dissolve gelatin and water in a small sauce pan. Allow to bloom, about 10 minutes. When soft, heat with sugar. Remove from heat, allow to cool to room tempurature. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form, gently whip in confectioners sugar. Slowly add gelatin mixture. Beat until doubled in size and the mixture forms soft peaks.
Line a half sheet pan with foil, spray with cooking spray and dust generously with confectioner's sugar. Pour marshmallow mixture into pan, smooth. Dust with more confectioner's sugar. Allow to set up at least 3 hours, preferably overnight. Cut into shapes, toss with confectioner's sugar. Never buy those sorry excuses for marshmallows at the store again!



1 comment:

  1. Eh, I wouldn't waste these on Rice Crispy Treats. But they would ROCK in smores!

    And yeah, gelatin is definitely an animal biproduct. I just don't think about it :P

    ReplyDelete