Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Daily Bread

With the cost of fuel increasing the cost of, well, everything lately, I've been doing more scratch cooking and baking. I've recently decided that spending $4 on a loaf of bread (which this family of 4 goes through in 2 to 3 days) is crazy. So, I've been having fun experimenting with different recipes lately. I've decided that as convenient as our bread machine is (pour the ingredients in and walk away), I'm not crazy about the way the crust turns out - it's super crispy, which is fine for specialty breads, but not for everyday sandwich bread, in my opinion. So, I'm doing it all the old fashioned way.

Thanks to my friend Aviva, I've found a great challah recipe, which makes the best french toast ever. I also found this fabulous honey whole wheat recipe...yum!

Ava loves helping me bake, and thinks that while the bread making process is slow, it's fun. She actually stands and watches the yeast foam up, and she loves to punch down the dough, and help shape the loaves. She is a natural in the kitchen...must be genetic!

Challah with raisins...YUM!

Cinnamon toast made with bread fresh from the oven...does it get any better?

Emily chowing down on some toast:

No comments:

Post a Comment