Sunday, July 20, 2008

Happy Birthday, Emily Grace!





Exactly one year ago at this very minute, Emily Grace came into our world and made it a brighter place.

Just seconds after a super easy labor and 2 pushes, Emily snuggled up to me, all warm and wriggly. I remember how she just stayed on my chest for a few minutes, memorizing my skin and smell, while I did the same. I counted her little fingers and her already chubby toes, and marvelled at her chubby cheeks.

She didn't let anyone hold her but me without screaming for the first 5 months, and after that, Daddy was only a sad substitute. She finally became more open to other people at 10 months, but still jumps out of their arms if she sees me. I can't complain...she'll probably start hating me in another 11 years, so I'll take it while I can get it!

Unlike her serious sister, Emily is all smiles. She is content to sit on a lap and cuddle while Ava goes about her day. She eats well, sleeps well, and is almost always cheerful.

Before Emily was born, Ava and I would nap together in the afternoons. Ava would pat my tummy and feel Emily kicking and moving, and I wondered if I had enough love to go between them. But when her tiny little body snuggled against mine for the first time, I fell instantly in love - a different kind of love than the one I have for Ava, for she is a different girl.

Today I look at my one year old and wonder who she will become - when she is three, when she is ten, when she is 25, 45, 65, and so on. I can't wait to get to know her better and to be a part of what I am sure will be a lovely life.




Birthday card courtesy of Denise Hopkins


No comments:

Post a Comment